Open Discussion: Yasmani Grandal’s Return
The Padres are just over a week away from catcher Yasmani Grandal becoming eligible to return to the major league team. One of the questions I have seen the most over the past few weeks has been about this topic. Nick Hundley added some fuel to the fire with this comments in the UT last week:
“You want to talk about a guy who is unproven and had a good couple months on steroids, go ahead,”
I do respect Hundley for being so candid; I also think he is spot on with those comments. The challenge is that Hundley himself only hit .157 in 2012, is hitting .243 in 2013, and is 2-36 in the month of May. He’s also due $7MM through 2014.
John Baker is currently the backup and in limited duty is hitting .176, down from the .238 he hit in 2012.
So, let’s talk options…
- Leave Grandal at AAA – Give him extra time to get his swing going
- DFA John Baker – He’s due $930,000 this season.
- Promote Grandal and roll with three catchers
- Trade Nick Hundley – He may not have much value, but could free up salary (for Headley).
- Assign Hundley to AAA – It appears he still has an option remaining.
- Assign Baker to AAA – It appears he also still has an option.
- (Insert options I missed here)
In the spirit of the “open discussion”, this is when you get to play general manager. Leave your comments below of what you think the Padres should do when Grandal is eligible to return to the team.