Padres News & Notes: McGwire, Zinter, Brock Join Coaching Staff
It sure has been a while since I last updated you all on what the Padres are up to. Here’s what you need to know:
- Jon Heymman of CBSSports.com reports that the Padres are expected to name former Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire as their new bench coach
- Former assistant hitting coach for the Houston Astros, Alan Zinter, will be the new hitting coach for the San Diego Padres according to the Union Tribune’s Dennis Lin and many other reports.
- Also, Lin reported via Twitter that the “Padres will promote outfield and baserunning coordinator Tarrik Brock to first-base coach. Brock filled that role for HOU in 2014.” With pitching coach Darren Balsley and third-base coach Glenn Hoffman returning, and the additions of McGwire, Zinter, Brock, bullpen coach Doug Bochtler, and manager Andy Green, the Padres coaching staff looks to be complete, awaiting official announcements from the team.
- Along with a new coaching staff, the team also plans to reveal a new look. According to GaslampBall.com, the Padres will introduce new uniforms on Tuesday, December 1. “Sunshine yellow” and “sea blue” are expected to be additions to the new color scheme.
- Aaron Gleeman of NBCSports.com reports that the Padres are among a few teams that are showing interest in free-agent reliever Tommy Hunter.
- “#Padres sign 6-foot-7 RHPs Martires Arias and Johnny Hellweg to minor league deals,” according to a tweet from Matt Eddy of BaseballAmerica.com. Arias was previously with the New York Mets’ organization, while Hellweg was with the Milwaukee Brewers.
Picture Credit: Kirby Lee – USA TODAY Sports