Padres Rumor Mill: 11/26/14
“Tons of Inquiries” on SD Catchers
- Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports recently tweeted out that the Padres are continuing to receive interest about their catchers – Yasmani Grandal, Rene Rivera, and top prospect, according to MLB.com, Austin Hedges. Talks are active.
- Rosenthal also tweeted that the Padres are still one of many teams who are aggressively pursuing young Cuban prospect Yasmany Tomas. The San Francisco Giants continue to show interest as well, while the Arizona Diamondbacks and Atlanta Braves have recently joined conversations.
Preller Leaving No Stone Unturned
- Rosenthal posted an article recently talking about new Padres GM A.J. Preller, highlighting his “all over the map” approach to the offseason
- Along with Tomas, the Padres have been connected to many free agents and potential trade targets. Pablo Sandoval was the most notable player the Padres have shown interest in, and despite offering him one more year than the Boston Red Sox and the Giants, “the Panda” signed with Boston for 5 years, $95 million.
- Rosenthal also mentions in his article that Preller has had baseline discussions on about 200 players. I’m not sure how many players GMs usually inquire on, but that sure seems like a lot
- Corey Brock, Padres beat writer for MLB.com, also posted an article recently talking about players the Padres have “kicked the tires” on. That list includes Reds outfielder Jay Bruce, and Red Sox outfielder Yoenis Cespedes