Why do they do this to us?
It takes a lot… and I mean a whole lot to make me angry at the Padres. I like to think of myself as the “positive guy” who looks at the Padres without skepticism, as if the glass is eternally half full.
You have to hand it to “Selig Hall of Fame Plaza”, because it finally got me to dislike this front office.
Are you listening, Mike Dee? You made the positive guy negative.
If I may, let me speak for all Padre fans by saying, “what in the hell were you thinking?”
I find myself having a hard time even conjuring up the words to use to speak negatively of this utterly common sense-less decision.
Where do I even start? I have no idea. I keep hitting keys on my keyboard but nothing seems to do justice to this titanic error.
It’s like bailing water out of the back of a leaking boat and putting it in the front of the boat. It’s like buying produce at the grocery store (its expensive and doesn’t stay fresh long, BTW). It’s like telling a Highway Patrolman, “bite me” in an effort to get out of a traffic ticket. It’s like trying to get the scratch out of the glass in your iPhone by running a piece of sandpaper over the surface.
- was asleep at the wheel for the apex of the steroid era, and then bribed a steroid dealer to get information well after the fact.
- oversaw a work stoppage that wiped out a World Series.
- allowed an owner’s divorce – botched sale – re-aquisition and subsequent laissez-faire attitude to ruin San Diego’s baseball team.
- denied Petco Park from hosting an All-Star Game, despite the fact that nearly every other new ballpark before and since has hosted one within a few years of opening.
- oversaw a tie in an All-Star game (which he then “corrected” by granting the winning league home field in the World Series, which is almost as stupid).
- will be remembered as the weakest commissioner in the history of Major League Baseball
Why, exactly, is my team honoring him? I keep running that question over and over in my head and I haven’t had an answer yet.
It is a quid-pro-quo for an All-Star Game? I sure hope not because the positivity from the game will not come close to the arsenic-style taste this “plaza” will leave in the mouths of fans.
Is it because of everything Selig has done for the Padres, as Dee as hinted at? Please don’t insult our intelligence because no one can possibly think Selig did anything to help bring the Padres back after the Warner years. Petco Park does not exist, by any measure, because of the influence of Bug Selig. I’m sorry, Mike Dee, I’ve lived here for 30 years, I was here during the process and Prop C passed because the Padres won the National League. Construction was completed because any army of lawyers defeated the repeated and ridiculous lawsuits brought against it. Don’t even try to tell me Selig’s visits to San Diego paved the way for Petco, because I am way smarter than you think I am.
I never knew I’d have to get angry about something like this. Palm Court Plaza, which is what it is called and what I will always call it, is home to my father’s commemorative brick. My dad, who never cries, was nearly in tears when my family and I gave it to him on his 59th birthday. I touch the brick nearly every game I attend. And you’re now telling me that this special memento is now going to be residing in a place to honor Bud Selig?
I want to love my team, and honestly, you guys are making it really hard.
Padres, I ask this as sternly as possible, and to quote Cameron Frye (mimicking Ed Rooney’s voice), “What the hell is the matter with you, anyway?”